11.09.2008

Madeleines and Chocolate Madeleines

We stopped by La Madeleine yesterday night and they had madeleines packaged for sale. I was inspired to make my own madeleines and try out my new madeleine pan. I made a batch of traditional madeleines and a batch of chocolate madeleines. I'm not 100% happy with the results. I think the traditional ones are a little too dark and I didn't like how the chocolate ones are "hole-ly". Despite that they were still tasty and I think acceptable for my first attempt at madeleines.


Traditional Madeleines (Makes 12)
2 eggs - room temp
1/2c Sugar
zest of 1 Lemon - I used a Meyer lemon
2 tsp Vanilla
2/3c all-purpose Flour
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
pinch of Salt
3/4 stick of Butter - melted & cooled
*Sift together flour, baking powder and salt - set aside. Mix sugar and lemon zest until fragrant. Then beat together with eggs using electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients. Add butter. Cover with plastic wrap for 3 hours.
*Heat oven to 400 degrees. Brush molds with melted butter. Fill molds and bake for 12 min.

Chocolate Madeleines (Makes 12)
2 eggs - room temp
1/2c Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
2/3c all-purpose Flour
1/4c Cocoa Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
pinch of Salt
3/4 stick of Butter - melted & cooled
*Sift together flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt - set aside. Beat sugar with eggs using electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Fold in dry ingredients. Add butter. Cover with plastic wrap for 3 hours.
*Heat oven to 400 degrees. Brush molds with melted butter. Fill molds and place in oven. Lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for 12 min.

No comments: