Carb: Parsley Rice
Veg: Shallots, Broccoli and Carrots
This was just a midweek dish that I wanted to be quick, filling and nutricious. I got the inspiration for it when I was flipping through the channels on Saturday afternoon and came across a show where they were cooking tilapia and topping it with carmelized shallots.
It turned out quite nice! I wasn't expecting it to be quite so tasty so that was a nice surprise. The seasoning I used for the fish turned out to be a bit like a mild (very mild) version of Blackened Spice. Also, the rice was sooooo tasty! Probably because the flavor of the oil was built from the shallots and the tilapia - ooo it was sooo good!
2 cups Cooked Uncle Ben's Rice
4 Tilapia fillets, rinsed and patted dry
2-3 Shallots, thinnly sliced
3 Broccoli crowns, cut into bite-size pieces
1.5 cup Baby Carrots
1/4 cup fresh Parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup Chicken Broth
3 cups Water
3 Tbsp Canola Oil (for shallots and tilapia)
2 tsp Canola Oil (for broccoli and carrots)
1.5 Tbsp Butter, unsalted
2-3 cloves of Garlic,
1/8 tsp of each - Cumin, Paprika, Coriander Seed
Salt & Pepper to taste
Recipe: Carmelized Shallots, Tilapia and Parsley Rice
1. Season both sides of tilapia with Cumin, Paprika, Coriander Seed, Salt & Pepper. Set aside.
2. In a non-stick skillet, on medium heat 1 Tbsp of Canola oil and 1/2 Tbsp of Butter.
3. Add shallots to oil. Season with a pinch of salt and lightly stir until sofened. Transfer to a plate.
4. Return pan to stove-top. On medium-high, heat remaining 2 Tbsp of Canola Oil and 1 Tbsp Butter.
5. Add tilapia fillets 2 at a time to the pan. Let cook for 3 min or until the edges of are done. Flip fillets and cook another 2 min. Transfer fillets to a plate.
6. Return pan to stove-top. Turn pan down to medium low and add cooked rice. Stir in parsley and turn off heat.
Recipe: Broccoli and Carrots
1. Boil water and add Baby Carrots.
2. In a non-stick wok, on medium heat 2 tsp Canola oil.
3. Add Garlic, Broccoli and a pinch of salt. Stir to coat Broccoli with oil.
4. Add 1/4 cup of Chicken Broth. Stir to coat Broccoli with broth and cover pan. Let steam for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add remaing 1/4 cup of Chicken Broth and another pinch of salt. Stir and cover again for 2-3 minutes.
6. Remove Baby Carrots from water and add to Broccoli.
7. Add another pinch of salt and stir for about 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat.
1. Plate rice and top with 1 Tilapia fillet.
2. Top Tilapia with Carmelized Shallots.
3. Plate Broccoli and Carrots next to Rice.